Australians are becoming more concerned about the cost of heating as the temperature has dropped considerably.
A survey that was recently conducted showed that 50 percent of us worry that we won't be able to pay our electricity and gas bills this winter.
Here are 12 tips to save on your energy bill:
- Check to see that your house is sealed and insulated. Replace weather strips on doors and windows if necessary.
- Solarise your existing water system.
- Open curtains during the day to let sunlight into your home and keep window and curtains closed when trying to keep the heat in.
- Use cold water when doing your washing and use low flow showerheads. Repair leaking taps.
- Set the thermostat on your heater between 18-21 degrees and only turn on the heating when people are at home.
- Turn off the heating when going to bed and use an extra blanket instead of an electric blanket.
- When going on holiday turn your hot water heater off.
- Switch off your appliances when they are not in use. Turn them off at the wall.
- Make sure hat the door seal on the fridge is working properly.
- Use the dishwasher only when fully loaded.
- Turn off lights when not in a room.
- Make sure that the reflectors are clean and free of dust on your heaters.