Rate Detective's Top Tips for Christmas budgeting are:
- Remember your regular bills and expenses, like rent. These don't stop just because it's Christmas, so set aside money to cover these regular expenses.
- Create a budget for you and your family and make sure your whole family sticks to it. Agree on what you will spend on gifts, and eating out over the Christmas period, and don't be tempted to spend over your limit. Use our simple-to-use on-line budgeting calculator.
- Investigate credit cards that don't charge interest for 60 days. That way, you won't be paying interest on Christmas charges until February. Also work towards maximizing your available credit and minimizing the amount of outstanding debt.
- Don't leave your Christmas shopping until the last minute. You may be forced to spend more, simply because the item you wanted has sold out!
- Don't Shop for Yourself! Set a rule that you'll only buy gifts for those on your list, and not yourself.
Rate Detective is a simple, on-line, one-stop shop that allows consumers to compare a wide range of products including home loans, insurance, credit card options, and personal finance.